NGOs play an important role in the democratic society – they inform and represent society and influence policy makers, industry representatives and other interest groups. However neither in Baltic countries nor in Russia they are able fully to take this role yet. It applies also to the consumers’ education field, especially what relates to the chemical substances in the goods. Therefore it is important to educate consumer organizations and to build up their capacities. Nordic countries have been working on the consumers’ information issues for a long time and the experience exchange is a valuable action in order to raise the capacities of NGOs in Russia and Baltic States.
Main aim of the project: to increase capacity of Baltic and Russian NGOs in field of consumer education.
The detailed objectives were:
– To transfer the knowledge from Danish NGO to NGOs in Russia and Baltic States with regard to consumers education
– To build up capacity of NGOs in Russia and Baltic States on issues related to chemicals in goods
– To promote sustainable and long lasting cooperation between NGOs
Target group: NGOs in Russia and Baltic States Duration – 1 year (from 2nd of April 2007 till 31st of March 2008).
- Survey and identification of more health and environment friendly products available on the market in Russia and Baltic States
- Handbook for NGOs on practical tools related to consumers’ awareness raising and education
- Pilot training for NGOs in Russia (13th and 14th of November, 2007)
- Trainings for NGOs in Baltic States (January, February 2008)
- International workshop for NGOs (5th and 6th of March, 2008) Survey “Health and
- Project management: Baltijas Vides forums, Latvia
- Operational time: 04/2007-03/2008
- Funded by: Nordic Council of Ministers
Danish Consumer Council, Denmark, Baltic Environmental Forum -Estonia, Baltic Environmental Forum – Lithuania and Keep St. Petersburg Tidy, Russia.