Energy efficiency means using only the necessary minimum amount of energy for a certain service, as for example heating or lighting. Applying energy efficiency measures in the building sector usually results in a lower use of energy. Insulating a home, for example, allows a building to use less heating and cooling energy to achieve and maintain a comfortable temperature.
Energy efficiency brings many benefits – be it cost savings, reduction of imports and therefore greater energy security, local health and environmental benefits or a slow-down in climate change.
The potential for energy efficiency in Russia, Belarus and the Ukraine is very high as these states – like other countries of Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union – have traditionally been using energy very intensively.
With ARCEE we want to improve energy efficiency in newly constructed buildings or in old apartment buildings which undergo refurbishment. One of our main aims is to increase the knowledge about measures to save energy or use it more efficiently.
More specifically, the activities of ARCEE include:
• understanding limitations and opportunities to implement energy efficiency measures in the three countries,
• presenting and discussing sound technical solutions under the current conditions,
• providing expertise and knowledge about measures for energy saving and efficiency enhancements by trainings in the target countries, an e-learning course, and a study trip to Germany,
• contributing to pilot construction/ refurbishment projects through practical advice.
Whom do we address? In the frame of the project, we want to get in contact with different groups, among them professionals involved in the construction and refurbishment of buildings (i.e. architects, engineers), (future) house and flat owners, institutions of higher education, and, to a limited extent, also local authorities.
- Project management:Baltic Environmental Forum, Germany
- Funded by: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Republic of Latvia: state program 07.00.00 “Development co-operation projects and international assistance” and European Union
- Operational time: 11/2011 – 02/2015
- Homepage: http://www.eefi.info/
Baltic Environmental Forum – Latvia;
Ecoproject Partnership, Belarus;
Center for Transboundary Cooperation (CTC), Russia ;
Initiative Wohnungswirtschaft Osteuropa (IWO) e.V.,Germany;
- Daina Indriksone